Photo credit – Dreamstime.com
Top 5 Wrong Reasons We Marry the Wrong Person
1. Next Step. We’ve been dating a long time, and this is the next step. The length of a relationship is not a measure of it’s long-term success.
2. Peer Pressure. All of my friends are getting married … it’s time. Feeling left out of the group may feel awkward, but is not a good reason to jump into marriage.
3. Settling. I don’t think I’ll do any better. It may sound cliché, but if you don’t respect and love yourself, it will be difficult to respect and love another person.
4. Behavior Modification. After we get married, I can force the other person to change. A marriage certificate is not a license to force your partner to modify his/her behaviors!
5. Money. He/She will be a good provider or comes from a good family. There’s a lot of truth in the old saying, “If you marry for money, you’ll pay for it.” Though having money certainly doesn’t hurt, it’s not the basis for a solid relationship and won’t hold together a bad union.
Naturally, most couples planning to stroll down the aisle aren’t thinking about consulting with a family law mediator or divorce coach prior to popping the question or accepting the proposal! However, if you see yourself in any of the above “wrong reasons” list, think twice before committing to your betrothed, and save yourself from a lengthy, expensive, and emotionally-draining future divorce proceeding.